The Hairdresser of Firawn’s daughter

Monday, March 5, 2012




It was narrated that Ibn Abbaas (Radia Allahu anhu) said: The Messenger of Allah (Salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam) said:


"On the night on which  I was taken on the Night Journey (Isra') , a beautiful fragance come to me . I said: Oh Jibreel, What is this beautiful fragance? He said: This is the fragance of the hairdresser  of Pharaon's daughter and her childrens. I said: What is their history? He said: Whilst she was combing the hair of Pharaon's daughter one day , the iron comb fell from her hand and she said " Bismillaah" ( In the name of Allah) . The daughter of Pharaon said : My father? She said : No , my Lord and the Lord of your father is Allah. She said: ‘I will tell him about that.’ She said: ‘Yes.’ So she told him and he summoned her and said: ‘O So and so, do you have a Lord other than me?’ She said: ‘Yes, my Lord and your Lord is Allaah.’ He ordered that a baqarah (lit. “cow”) made of copper be heated up, then he ordered that she and her children be thrown into it. She said:I have a request  to make of you. He said: What is your request? She said: ‘I would like my bones and my children’s bones to be gathered together in one cloth and buried.’ He said: ‘This will be done for you.’ He ordered that her children be thrown into it in front of her, one by one, until they came to the last one who was an infant boy who was still being breastfed. It was as she wavered because of him but he said: ‘O mother, go ahead, for the punishment of this world is easier to bear than the punishment of the hereafter.’ So she went ahead.”
 Ibn ‘Abbaas (Radia Allahu anhu) said : Four infants spoke: ‘Eesa ibn Maryam (Alehsalam), the companion of Jurayj, the witness of Yoosuf and the son of the hairdresser of Pharaoh’s daughter.


SOURCE: Narrated by Imam Ahmad in al-Musnad (1/309), al-Tabaraani (12280), Ibn Hibbaan (2903) and al-Haakim (2/496).
[Al-Dhahabi said in al-‘Aluw (84): This hadeeth has a hasan isnaad. Ibn Katheer said in al-Tafseer (3/15): There is nothing wrong with its isnaad. Its isnaad was classed as saheeh by the scholar Ahmad Shaakir in his commentary on al-Musnad (4/295). Al-Arna’oot said in Takhreej al-Musnad (5/30-31, no. 2821): Its isnaad is hasan.

0 comments: